Everyone loves to camp and everyone loves s’mores: the sweet campfire treat no camping trip is complete without. We have all had some variation of this fireside treat and we all know how great they can be. They’re gooey, they’re crunchy, and they’re downright a must if you are going camping. S’mores are no longer just a camping treat. There are tons of great variations out there that are a twist on the classic that are perfect for making while camping or at home. Knowing what recipes are out there can truly change your outlook when it comes to s’mores. Here are some of our favorite s’mores recipes to try next time you build a campfire.
What We'll Cover
- The History of S’mores
- Banana and Nutella S’more
- S’mores Brownies
- Oreo S’mores Trifles
- Mini S’mores Cheesecakes
- S’mores Cheese Ball
- Baked S’mores
- Campfire S’mores Nachos
The History of S’mores
S’mores have always been a great treat that dates all the way back to 1927. The first recipe was found in an instructional Girl Scouts guide called, “Tramping and Trailing with the Girl Scouts”. The book details twelve different ways to make a camp fire and the recipe for “some mores” is included in that book. This is one of the first mentions of the food but there are others that claim it was a recipe that was created by the Campfire Girls. Still others claim that the Victorian sandwich cookies are a variation of the s’more.
The truth is, there have always been sandwich cookies where one sweet confection or other is placed between two cookies to the delight of anyone that gets to eat them. There have been others that claim inspiration too from the Mallomar, a classic cookie that features a graham cracker topped with marshmallow then dipped in chocolate which was sold by the Nabisco company in the year 1913. Moonpies are another similar treat that is tasty and that features a cookie with chocolate and marshmallow.
Any way you slice it, s’mores are great and any variation of this cookie combo is sure to be a tasty treat. It is helpful to look at the origins of the marshmallow itself that comes from the marsh mallow, a plant that grows in the swamps and that looks otherwise unappealing. It was the French in the 1800s that decided to take the sap from the inside of the marsh mallow and boil it down to create the first marshmallow. By the late 1800s the marshmallow was being made with gelatin which made it more readily available for the average class.
The recipe for a traditional s’more is two graham crackers with a toasted marshmallow inside with a piece of cholate inside. It’s easiest to roast the marshmallow perfectly by using a marshmallow roasting stick. The heat from the toasty marshmallow helps to melt the chocolate slightly and making the entire sandwich melt into a delightful confection. Now that we know a bit about the classic s’more, let’s take a look at a few fun variations.
Banana and Nutella S’more
For those that love fruit and love the smooth and rich taste of Nutella make for a wonderful treat. You can make these s’mores over a traditional campfire, fire pit, or on a grill, and they are just as tasty either way. This is a great recipe for making at home when you’re craving s’mores.
- 8 whole graham crackers
- ¼ cup of Nutella or Hazelnut spread
- ¼ cup of marshmallow fluff
- 2 small bananas that have been cut into ¼ inch slices
- 2 tablespoons of chopped hazelnuts
- Parchment paper and aluminum foil
- Spread half the graham crackers with Nutella and half with marhsmallow fluff.
- Place banana slices on Nutella and sprinkle with chopped hazelnuts to taste. Sandwich the two sides together.
- Wrap s’mores with foil. Grill in an oven for 10 minutes, turning periodically. Serve immediately.
For those that like a little more substance but still love the classic flavor profile that comes with a wonderful s’more. These brownies are a great way to get that flavor with a bit heartier food overall. These brownies are easier to make than you might imagine, and they are truly delightful. If you love brownies and you love s’mores, this is a recipe that you certainly want to give a try.
- 2 ¼ cups of granulated sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened coco powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cup unsalted butter that has been melted
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 3 ½ cups of golden graham cereal that has been divided
- 1 ½ cups of white chocolate chips
- 2 cups of mini marshmallows
- ¾ cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Grease a 9×13 inch pan.
- Combine sugar, flour, cocoa powder, and salt in a bowl. Whisk in melted butter, eggs, and vanilla. Fold in Golden Grahams and white chocolate chips.
- Transfer batter to greased baking pan. Bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle additional Golden Grahams, mini marhsmallows, and chocolate chips on top.
- Replace in oven and bake 5-10 more minutes until marshmallows are golden.
- Let cool and serve.
Oreo S’mores Trifles
This is a great little recipe if you are looking for something fast and tasty that combines s’mores and Oreos. This is a great recipe that you can do with your kids and that you can make ahead of time to serve at a party.
- 1 box of instant chocolate pudding mix
- 2 cups of non-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter that has been melted
- 1 cup of graham cracker crumbs
- 6 Oreos that have been crushed
- Marshmallow whipped cream
- 2 cups of mini marshmallows
- And chocolate sauce for garnish
- Whisk pudding and milk in a mixing bowl. Let thicken for five minutes.
- Combine butter and graham cracker crumbs. Press into the bottom of serving dishes.
- Add pudding to jars on top of graham cracker crumb mixture. Top with crushed Oreos.
- Chill for at last an hour.
- Top with whipped cream and marshmallows before serving.
Mini S’mores Cheesecakes
This is another fun variation on the s’mores recipe that offers a great twist and the same fantastic flavor. This is a recipe that is quick but that still has a very impactful flavor. If you love cheesecake, you love s’mores, and you love foods that are sweet and special, this is one fantastic recipe to try out.
- 1 ¼ cup graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 5 tbsp melted unsalted butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- ¼ cup of sour cream
- 1 room temperature egg
- ¼ cup of granulated sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup of chocolate chips
- ¼ cup of heavy whipping cream
- 12 large marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line muffin pan with 12 liners.
- Combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter. Press about 2 tbsp of mixutre into each cupcake liner.
- Beat cream cheese with a hand mixer until fluffy. Add sour cream and continue beating. When combined, add egg, sugar, and vanilla.
- Fill cupcake liners with 2-3 tbsp of the cheesecake mixture. Bake 18-20 minutes. Cool completely in the refrigerator overnight.
- Make ganache (equal weights chocolate and heavy cream melted together). Let cool to thicken.
- Spread ganache over mini cheesecakes. Toast a marshmallow and place on top. Serve immediately.
S’mores Cheese Ball
If you are looking for a great recipe that is different and quirky and that is also fun to make, this is certainly the ticket. This is an easy recipe that is something that you can make with your kids and that you can make ahead of time for any party or get together. This is a fun recipe if you are looking for something that would make a great party favor or a great dessert at a casual event.
- 16 oz cream cheese, softened
- 8 oz marshmallow fluff
- 1 cup of mini marshmallows
- 1 cup of mini chocolate chips
- 1 box of graham crackers
- Combine cream cheese and marshmallow fluff with hand mixer until smooth. Add mini marshmallows and chocolate chips. Fold in with a spatula. Chill in refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Crush 4 whole graham crackers into uniform crumbs.
- Remove cream cheese mixture from refrigerator and form into a ball. Roll ball in graham cracker crumbs until coated. Place on a serving plate with graham crackers.
This is another fantastic recipe that you can get ready ahead of time before you cook it. This is a great recipe if you are cooking out or if you are going to be going to a campfire and you just want an easy recipe that you can make and take on the road. Baked s’mores are perfect for nearly any event and they are a great way to get your s’mores fix without having to start a fire or risk little ones getting hurt around the campfire.
- 4 graham crackers broken into halves
- 2 milk chocolate candy bars that have been divided
- 4 marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Prepare s’mores like you would normally (bottom graham cracker, chocolate, marshmallow, top graham cracker). Wrap each s’more in foil.
- Bake 4-5 minutes in oven. Serve immediately.
Campfire S’mores Nachos
This is another super fun recipe that is easy to do and that is also fun for kids and adults alike. Having a bonfire, campfire, or cookout with these on hand is a great time and is great if you are looking for something easy and trouble free. You can even put this one in a cast iron skillet and cook it on a campfire grill grate or campfire tripod instead and make it while camping.
- 6 whole graham crackers that have been broken into pieces
- 1 ½ cups mini marshmallows
- 1 ½ cups crumbled brownies
- ¾ cup of milk chocolate chips
- Cooking spray
- 1/3 cup of creamy peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Combine graham crackers, marshmallows, brownies, and chocolate chips in a large bowl.
- Spray sheet of foil with cooking spray and place mixture in the center. Add peanut butter over top to taste. Seal foil. Leave a small opening for steam to vent.
- Place on a baking sheet in the oven for 10 minutes or until marshmallows and chocolate melt. Serve immediately.
Everyone loves camping, and s’mores are just a great way to make camping even more fun. Making s’mores is a great way to spend time with your friends or introduce your kids to camping. S’mores (and these recipes) can even be made vegan-friendly or keto-friendly, so everyone can be included. These are just some of the fantastic recipes that you might want to try out to see if they are your new favorite. These recipes are easy to make, taste great, and are fun if you are looking for a new twist on something that we already know that we love. S’mores bring us together, they help us to relax and have fun, and they are just plain delicious no matter how you look at it.
These are recipes that have been tried and tested and are great for those that want a different approach to the classic recipe that we have always loved. S’mores are something that can be changed up to your particular tastes and that can be classed up, dressed down, or made just plain out there. S’mores are versatile, they are tasty, and they are a part of the classic American camping experience and they will be for years and years to come. Next time you go camping, move aside your campfire rotisserie and try one or two of these great ways to eat s’mores.
The responses below are not provided, commissioned, reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by any financial entity or advertiser. It is not the advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.